Thursday, August 14, 2014

God Bless America?

The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." Isaiah 29:13 (NIV)

Hundreds of politicians give speeches everyday ending with "May God Bless America!" This once fervent prayer has become just another closing line in a political speech. It's standard--it's expected--it's meaningless. Why would God bless America? He has said He would bless those who bless Israel, yet our firm support of God's chosen people is crumbling before our very eyes. We do not honor God by our words or actions, and we daily pass laws that demonstrate that the heart of this country is far from Him. America is no longer the Good Samaritan, providing help to the helpless and oppressed while everyone else looks away. Political calculations stand in the way of compassion. As Christians, are we powerless to change this? Our sin is greater than that of the politicians, for we have neglected to stand up for God in our culture. God has said, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." May God forgive America. May God forgive us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or email me at judy.revival4america@gmail.com